Top Ten Tuesday
hosted by The Broke and the Bookish
Top Ten Characters Everyone Loves, But I Just Don’t Get It
This might be tough to admit….
- Ginny Weasley from the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling. There. I said it. I don’t care that Harry ended up with her or anything, but I just never understood her appeal. She seemed.. I don’t know. Bland.
- June from the Legend trilogy by Marie Lu. I liked Day, but I wasn’t a big fan of June.
- Prim from the Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins. I know, I know. But I just didn’t like her, know her, or care about her nearly as much as the rest of the YA reading world.
- Mal from The Grisha Trilogy by Leigh Bardugo. I will NEVER be a fan of Mal. Gross. #TeamDarklingAndIDontCareIfHesEvil
- Daenerys Targaryen from A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin. I don’t care about many dragons she has, she has failed to impress me. #TeamJonSnow
- Everyone in The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. Ugh. Nick. Daisy. Jay. I hate them all, even though I can appreciate the story.
- Romeo AND Juliet from the play by Shakespeare. It really bothers me that people still classify the story as a classic love story instead of a cautionary tale about young love. They both made awful choices and were naïve. I like the story a lot, but I do NOT romanticize it or the characters.
- Christian Grey from Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L James. Ew. I’m not into billionaires who think it’s romantic to steal my freaking car and sell it and then buy me a new one. I hate his character and all of the other billionaires that have followed him in romance novels.
- Rose from the Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead. I love the series, but if I met Rose, I would probably not ever be friends with her. She’s self centered and immature, which was nice because you don’t see a lot of flawed heroines like that in YA books, but she was definitely a character I couldn’t relate to.
- Travis Maddox from Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire. I’m just not into the arrogant mess of his character. I just don’t see the appeal.
It’s not like I hate these characters… some of them I just don’t get the hype about. Even though I can love other characters for the same reasons I don’t like these…