Feature and Follow Friday
Hosted by Parajunkee and Alison Can Read
This week’s prompt:
Which protagonist is most like me?
Let me be perfectly honest as much as it pains me to say this.
I can totally relate to Bella Swan and we have a whole mess of things in common. She might be the doormat of YA literature, but how many of us are shooting arrows or being divergent or overthrowing a government? I know I’m not. So instead of picking someone I do see a little of myself in and also is awesome, like Meggie from the Inkheart trilogy or Juliette from the Shatter Me trilogy, I have to at least admit that there is still one character I have MORE in common with than I’d like.
But before you scoff and think I’m also an awful doormat, let me explain!
Here are the similarities:
- I often had to parent my own mom because she is the more free spirited of the two of us. I can totally relate to Bella in the beginning of the series.
- She also remarried someone who had to travel/move for his career.
- My father is much more stable, smart, and stoic and is always there for me. And, like Charlie, he’s the comic relief. He’s the funniest person I know.
- One of my parents lives in Phoenix, AZ.
- I will be moving very close to Forks, WA soon, which is mostly against my will, but also kind of what needs to happen.
- I met my husband when I was 17 and still in high school, though he was not in school with me and he is not immortal.
- I got married young and the hardest part about it all was having to explain that no, I wasn’t pregnant, because that’s the first thing people thought and the one part of the whole thing that I hated, even though I knew I wanted to spend forever with my husband.
- I don’t like flaunting money.
- I don’t like to be the center of attention.
- My relationship takes me away from my family and we have to make a real effort to see each other. Not because I’m immortal and can’t go into the sun, but because my husband is military and we move away.
- I’m extremely clumsy. I run into things constantly and fall a lot. It’s quite awful.
- I love books.
- I’m kind of pale for someone who isn’t a vampire.
- Before I started working in a credit union and dressing up everyday, I also had issues walking in heels and preferred sneakers.
There are definitely other characters I relate to, but I have to admit, that’s quite a list of things to have in common with a character and that’s exactly why I picked her.
Who are you most like?